Weekly status for the week of the 19th to the 25th of November.
This past week was pretty busy for us. We first started by catching up on any remaining backlog in our stable branches, in preparation for the 3.0.3 bugfix release which was put out on Thursday.
On top of that, we’ve been busy working on database improvements, a number of fixes and performance improvements to container migration, a few more fixes for projects and added support for cross-project container migration.
We’re also busy working on some kernel features to make it easier to use Android with LXD and to improve overall container performance, 2019 will be an exciting year for containers!
The LXD team at Canonical is hiring!
We’re looking for a work from home software engineer based in the Americas or EMEA.
This is to work on LXD itself, designing and implementing new features, helping our users and squashing those pesky bugs!
Details at https://grnh.se/0d47b1411
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us here, by e-mail or IRC if you have any questions!
Upcoming conferences and events
- FOSDEM - Brussels, Belgium (February 2-3)
- GTC 2019 - San Jose, CA (March 17-21)
The list below is feature or refactoring work which will span several weeks/months and can’t be tied directly to a single Github issue or pull request.
- Rework of internal LXD storage handling
- Dqlite 1.0
- Switching distribution building over to distrobuilder
- Various kernel work
- Stable release work for LXC, LXCFS and LXD
The items listed below are highlights of the work which happened upstream over the past week and which will be included in the next release.
- Added project config validation and documentation
- Added support for copy/move between projects & --project option to CLI
- Tweaked handling of loop size in lxd/init
- Updated DB code to avoid un-needed query on container move
- Reworked some of the automated snapshots logic
- Fixed the newly introduced AppArmor version check
- Fixed btrfs on CEPH/LVM to use user_subvol_rm_allowed as mount option
- Added support for bi-directional rsync negotiation
- Added support for ZFS compression negotiation
- Fixed a potential issue in hwaddr retry logic
- LXD 3.0.3
- Added allowrunning command line option for snapshotting running containers
- Removed freezer requirement from cgfsng
- Updated Korean documentation to cover –allowrunning arg in lxc-copy
- Updated Japanese documentation to cover –allowrunning arg in lxc-copy
- LXC 3.0.3
- LXCFS 3.0.3
- Nothing to report this week
This section is used to track the work done in downstream Linux distributions to ship the latest LXC, LXD and LXCFS as well as work to get various software to work properly inside containers.
- Uploaded LXD, LXC and LXCFS 3.0.3 to Ubuntu 18.04 (waiting for review)
- Uploaded LXD, LXC and LXCFS 3.0.3 to Ubuntu 18.10 (waiting for review)
- Uploaded LXC and LXCFS 3.0.3 to Ubuntu 19.04
- Updated 3.0 track to LXD 3.0.3, LXC 3.0.3 and LXCFS 3.0.3
- Updated the latest track to LXC 3.0.3 and LXCFS 3.0.3
- Cherry-picked bugfixes