XMRig + LXD Containers

I wanted to thank the entire team for doing such an amazing job, but I’ll just get straight to the point. I have a large cluster of machines (roughly 30) that I want to be able to run a monero mining program called XMRig on when they’re not being used for other more important work. The problem I’m running into is getting the containers to be able to access the MSR module so that they can do the mining at a much more efficient speed.

Is this possible? I know I’ve seen multiple custom profiles tossed around this forum, but when I attempted to manually load the MSR module, I couldn’t get my test container to recognize it and the miner was running 100% load at about 75% efficiency. Does anyone have any ideas?

1 Like

It should run perfectly fine-- just make an image and have at it :D!

Well, heck, let’s give it a shot!

Nope. It didn’t work.

[2021-07-12 19:53:05.984] msr msr kernel module is not available
[2021-07-12 19:53:05.984] msr FAILED TO APPLY MSR MOD, HASHRATE WILL BE LOW

site here with 5 fixes for windows, might help suggest some things to try
Failed to Apply MSR Mod, Hashrate Will Be Low

I’ve run xmrig in unprivileged LXD for over a year… the MSR MOD error message can be ignored if you run as root on the host machine once after boot. I generally set a @reboot line in the root crontab.

The command you want to run is wrset which is discussed here:-
https://xmrig.com/docs/miner/randomx-optimization-guide/msr

Note that even if you run this xmrig will still complain but its as its already set you can safely ignore it.

1 Like

Brilliant. Thank you. My apologies for the late response.