LVM storage problem - all container stopped and doesn't start anymore after switch to core20

Looks like the same as dnsmask process exited prematurely · Issue #8905 · lxc/lxd · GitHub potentially. This seems to be an issue with the recent change to core20 in the snap. See LXD snap transitioning to core20 and losing i386 support

I don’t understand, the server it’s not an arch386. at the moment there is no solution or workaround to gain connectivity again?

The move to core20 affected all architectures, but meant that i386 isn’t supported any more.

I’m currently looking into if there is a workaround, like we did for the lvm tools.

ok, sorry

It seems to be an issue with snap on bionic hosts.

I have this is issue also: ubuntu host 18.04 and containers have no IP addresses this morning.

I’m tracking this over at

I reopened the original LVM issue as it would be good to try and figure out what was going on there:

Conclusion is that for anyone who’s using nested LVM (VG in a LV), the change of LVM version that occurred by LXD moving from a core18 to a core20 base changed LVM’s behavior to not scanning such LVs. As having LVM perform this scan every time is quite resource intensive, we don’t want to alter the default LVM configuration to do it.

Instead anyone depending on such a setup should do snap set lxd lvm.external=true followed by systemctl reload snap.lxd.daemon. This will reconfigure the snap to rely on your system’s LVM tools and configuration rather than the snap’s.
This will work seamlessly with the only requirement being that you must have the LVM tools installed on your system.

1 Like