Missing driver during windows install

Hi,
I have issues with installing a Windows 11 VM.
I followed the YouTube tutorial, but always get a popup during the installation that there is a missing driver.

These are the commands I used.

distrobuilder repack-windows /<path>/<isoname>.iso /<path>/w11_lxd.iso

lxc init w11 --empty --vm
lxc config device override w11 root size=80GB
lxc config set w11 limits.cpu=4 limits.memory=8GB
lxc config device add w11 vtpm tpm`
lxc config device add w11 install disk source=/<path>/w11_lxd.iso boot.priority=10
lxc start w11 --console=vga

I am running Fedora 35.
LXD version: 4.24 (snap package)

Kind Regards,
Errandil

@monstermunchkin did something regress with Windows 11?

Forgot to mention, have the same thing with Windows 10 20H2 and 21H2
Distrobuilder version: 2.0 (snap)

I’ll check this.

I can confirm this. Even with older virtio-win ISOs, the Windows 11 installation won’t work. The vioscsi driver for some reason is not recognized or accepted.

I also tried it with version 0.1.196 of the drivers today, it had the same issue.
If there is something I can test, please let me know.

This seems related

That’s odd because I have a working Windows 11 VM here, so if it can work properly once installed, we should be able to make the install work too, no?

Hi,
I did some extra testing.

The strange thing is that windows does recognize the disks, but still asks for drivers.

Tested under Windows 10, 11 and Windows server 2019.
Is there a way to rollback to LXD 4.23 just to test?

You can snap install lxd --channel=4.23 on a clean system to get LXD 4.23.

Works without any issue in 4.23

I think it’s a bug in 4.24

Can you show:

• uname -a
  • lxc storage list

On the machine with 4.24 (Fedora 35 Desktop not working)

Linux <hostname> 5.16.15-201.fc35.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Mar 17 05:45:13 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

+---------+--------+--------------------------------------+-------------+---------+---------+
|  NAME   | DRIVER |                SOURCE                | DESCRIPTION | USED BY |  STATE  |
+---------+--------+--------------------------------------+-------------+---------+---------+
| default | btrfs  | 201039aa-1f61-4f79-8736-534f766fc61a |             | 11      | CREATED |
| pool2   | dir    | /mnt/files/lxd/                      |             | 1       | CREATED |

The test machine with 4.23 (Fedora 35 Server working)

Linux <hostname> 5.16.15-201.fc35.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Mar 17 05:45:13 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
+---------+--------+------------------------------------------------+-------------+---------+
|  NAME   | DRIVER |                     SOURCE                     | DESCRIPTION | USED BY |
+---------+--------+------------------------------------------------+-------------+---------+
| default | dir    | /var/snap/lxd/common/lxd/storage-pools/default |             | 2       |

This is the commit which causes the issue

Just came here after a google - I’m just following the same video to install Win11 and I get the same error as reported above on the Win11 install.

I am running Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop with LXD 4.24.

I’m doing this for a demo of LXD for work next week. I’ll keep an eye out on this thread. Cheers.

$ uname -a
Linux sm01 5.13.0-35-generic #40~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Mon Mar 7 09:18:32 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
$ lxc storage list
+------------+--------+-----------------------------------------------+-------------+---------+---------+
|    NAME    | DRIVER |                    SOURCE                     | DESCRIPTION | USED BY |  STATE  |
+------------+--------+-----------------------------------------------+-------------+---------+---------+
| lxd-pool01 | zfs    | /var/snap/lxd/common/lxd/disks/lxd-pool01.img |             | 9       | CREATED |
$ lxd --version

Reproduced the issue and confirmed that the disk is properly detected and functional. I can partition it, format it and use it from the command line in the installer.

But the installer still doesn’t want to install on it for some reason.

Thanks for the fix. Do we need to wait for the next LXD release - or is there a easy way to patch LXD 4.24 with this fix for now?

The fix was cherry-picked and is rolling out now, a snap refresh lxd will most likely pull it in already, if not, trying in a few hours should do it.

1 Like

Thank you for the fast fix. Will try to test tomorrow or Saturday