Taking part in Hacktoberfest and contributing to LXD

Hacktoberfest is an annual contest organized by DigitalOcean where you contribute on Github during the month of October, and get a t-shirt as a Thank you. You need to make four contributions (pull requests) that get accepted, on participating repositories on Github.

This year (ahem, 2020), a Youtuber with over 600K subscribers posted a video on how to get a free t-shirt by gaming Hacktoberfest and making trivial one-line contributions. So, the rules were adapted, and now it is opt-in for the maintainer to enable their repository/ies to participate in Hacktoberfest.

The LXD repository is enabled for Hacktoberfest (see the hacktoberfest tag at the top-right). I suppose if you have a contribution in mind for another repository under the LXC/LXD ombrella, you can discuss it with the maintainers.

Any suggestions on what to contribute?

1. @stgraber maintains a list of Easy Issues for New Contributors. Note that a select list of those issues have the Hacktoberfest label.
  2. Documentation, documentation updates and other non-code updates.

I did a test-drive on this by updating part of the documentation of distrobuilder. Using just the Web browser to edit the markdown documentation. Surprisingly, it worked and here is the result, https://github.com/lxc/distrobuilder/pull/364

1. Log on onto Github. Identify the file you want to edit, and click on the Pencil button to edit the file.
  2. You need to remember to add the appropriate Signed-off-by: My Name <me@gmail.com> in the extended description as described below. If you do not do that, then you cannot edit the description anymore from the Web and have to use the command-line tools to do so (git amend -s).
  3. Make the changes and then fill in at the end the Commit changes boxes. Add a title and an extended description. Select to Create a new branch for this commit and start a pull request. Click on Commit changes. You do not need to create the Pull request straight away. If unsure, post here your suggested changes to get some input before creating the pull request.
  4. You can make several commits (changes) that get saved before you decide to create the Pull Request (PR).
  5. If you make (or plan to make) any non-code contribution, post a link here to here to get some help or even content input.
  6. Finally, you can click to create the Pull Request so that the changes appear in the project.
1 Like