Weekly status for the week of the 4th November to the 10th of November.
This past week has seen the new LXD storage API merged, along with a working directory driver for it. Other storage drivers will follow shortly.
Also this week we have added the initial implementation of virtual machine support. VM support only uses the new storage API and so at this time VMs can only be created on
dir backed storage pools.
Example of creating a VM:
lxc launch ubuntu:18.04 v1 --vm -s dirpool -p vmprofile
At this time, VM support consists of:
- Ability to create and launch VMs on dir storage pools (either from Ubuntu images or empty the using PXE boot).
- Ability to specify RAM and CPU count using
- Raw console access (using
lxc console) - you should use LXD’s cloud init support to set a password for logging in.
- Bridged networking.
- VM agent - ability to see the VM’s state in
lxc lsand perform file push and pulls.
Contribute to LXD
Ever wanted to contribute to LXD but not sure where to start?
We’ve recently gone through some effort to properly tag issues suitable for new contributors on Github: https://github.com/lxc/lxd/labels/Easy
You can also find a slightly longer, more detailed list here: Contributing to LXD
FOSDEM 2020 - containers devroom
We will once again be running the containers devroom at the upcoming FOSDEM conference in Brussels, Belgium. This year it’s going to be over the weekend of the 1st and 2nd of February.
The detailed call for papers can be found here: FOSDEM 2020 containers devroom: Call for papers
The list below is feature or refactoring work which will span several weeks/months and can’t be tied directly to a single Github issue or pull request.
- Virtual machine support
- Rework of internal LXD storage handling
- Distrobuilder 1.0 release
- Various kernel work
- Stable release work for LXC, LXCFS and LXD
The items listed below are highlights of the work which happened upstream over the past week and which will be included in the next release.
- Implement initial LXD VM agent
- Add cephfs backend
- Cluster recover command
- Make dir snapshots read-only
- Fix apply_quota
- Storage Pool Load By Instance
- Storage Instance Create
- Storage Instance Mount and Unmount
- Storage Instance Quota
- lxc/init: Properly handle errors with --empty
- Fix bad handling of remote operations
- Fix bad instance filtering
- Storage Instance Rename
- Port storage pool creation to new logic
- VM Create and Launch
- lxd/operations: Support nil state
- lxd/storage: Switch Delete to new logic
- lxd/storage: Switch Mount to new logic
- lxd/storage/cephfs: Don’t fail if already mounted
- Pre VM function renames
- lxd/storage/dir: Don’t apply quotas on snapshots
- Fix handling of shared network interfaces
- Cleanup Info/Version in storage
- lxd-agent: Various tweaks and cleanups
- VM Agent Link
- Add virtual-machine volume type to API
- lxd/vm: Fixes to agent connection
- Mount options for disk device mounts #6225
- Nothing to report this week
This section is used to track the work done in downstream Linux distributions to ship the latest LXC, LXD and LXCFS as well as work to get various software to work properly inside containers.
- Nothing to report this week
- Added squashfs-tools-ng
- Split xtables to its own part