Weekly status for the week of the 10th to the 16th of July 2017.
The main highlight for this week is the availability of the LXD 2.0 (LTS) branch as a snap.
Snap users can now choose which branch they’d like to use at installation time.
For the feature branch:
snap install lxd
For the LTS branch:
snap install lxd --channel=2.0/stable
That latter will currently get you LXD 2.0.10. The installation and setup experience is identical to that from our existing snap for the feature branch
We’ve also been pretty busy on the LXD side, implementing a number of smaller features. Improving the user experience of image creation, offering some more network configuration options and adding more control for custom storage volumes.
- Debconf 2017 (August)
- Open Source Summit, Linux Plumbers and Linux Security Summit (CFP for Linux Plumbers) (September)
The list below is feature or refactoring work which will span several weeks/months and can’t be tied directly to a single Github issue or pull request.
- External authentication support for LXD servers
- Ceph as a LXD storage backend
- Delta download for LXD daily images
- Preparation for LXC 2.1
- Snap package improvements.
The items listed below are highlights of the work which happened upstream over the past week and which will be included in the next release.
- Added support for “lxc image import” from an unpacked image directory
- The “vlan” property is now supported for “physical” network devices.
- Implemented quota support for custom storage volumes (size property).
- Made it possible to delete image storage volumes through the API.
- The zfs backend now uses canmount=noauto by default.
- Refactored some of the ZFS code.
- Fixed some examples in the API documentation.
- ZFS mount failures are now automatically re-tried.
- Added support for the renamed LXC configuration keys.
- Fixed error handling on container delete.
- Fixed “lxc image export” to always use the long fingerprint for the filename.
- Fixed bad ETag handling on storage volumes.
- Fixed the “UsedBy” field for storage volumes.
- Fixed the creation of non-thinpool containers on LVMhttps://github.com/lxc/lxd/pull/3544).
- Added some tests for custom storage volume quotas.
- Improved the filter handling of “lxc image list”.
- Improved console log handling on attach.
- Updated the Japanese manpages.
- Made cgroup debug logging a bit quieter.
- Removed some deprecated cgroup code.
- Updated the documentation and tests for the renamed configuration keys.
- Nothing to report this week other than some bug triaging.
This section is used to track the work done in downstream Linux distributions to ship the latest LXC, LXD and LXCFS as well as work to get various software to work properly inside containers.
- Updated LXCFS in Ubuntu 16.04, 16.10 and 17.04 to fix process time handling (btime).