Weekly status for the week of the 24th to the 30th of July 2017.
This week we released LXD 2.16 featuring Ceph RBD support and many more improvements and bugfixes!
We’ve otherwise been pretty busy preparing for the upcoming LXC 2.1 stable release and working on other LXD features such as the external authentication and delta support for image downloads.
The LXD snap has also seen a number of improvements with a complete rework of the storage handling code, introducing the base for LVM and Ceph support in the snap.
- Debconf 2017 (August)
- Open Source Summit, Linux Plumbers and Linux Security Summit (CFP for Linux Plumbers) (September)
The list below is feature or refactoring work which will span several weeks/months and can’t be tied directly to a single Github issue or pull request.
- External authentication support for LXD servers
- Delta download for LXD daily images
- Preparation for LXC 2.1
- Snap package improvements.
The items listed below are highlights of the work which happened upstream over the past week and which will be included in the next release.
- Implemented the “ceph” storage driver.
- Added support for the container templates API.
- Fixed LXD misbehaving on systems using the musl C library.
- Fixed bad tracking of source alias in image copy.
- Exposed the internal HTTP client in the client library.
- Improved the documentation on image caching.
- Removed the old (deprecated) client library.
- Fixed an upgrade issue when configuring canmount=noauto.
- Added support for specifying the user to use with ceph.
- Fixed a bug in storage backend selection in the test suite.
- Simplified the connection logic in the new client library.
- Added support for a simple “instance type” mechanism to configure container limits.
- Fixed missing markdown escaping in some documentation.
- Fixed a few cgfsng bugs.
- Fixed the rsync calls to transfer extended attributes too.
- Fixed a bad configuration check in the LVM storage backend.
- Added a check for missing LVM configuration.
- Added a workaround for a gcc-7 regression.
- Fixed handling of cgroupv2 hybrid cgroup layouts.
- Added support for full device path in lxc.devices.allow.
- Fixed read-only bind-mount handling.
- Re-order handling of cgroup namespace.
- Nothing to report this week other than some bug triaging.
This section is used to track the work done in downstream Linux distributions to ship the latest LXC, LXD and LXCFS as well as work to get various software to work properly inside containers.
- Uploaded LXD 2.16 (2.16-0ubuntu1) to the Ubuntu development release.
- Uploaded a bugfix release of LXD (2.16-0ubuntu2) to the Ubuntu development release.
- Updated the candidate channel to LXD 2.16.
- Released LXD 2.16 to the stable channel.
- Updated the edge channel with support for LVM, CRIU, initial integration of Ceph and text editor improvements.