Windows 11 VM wont start after upgrading to incus 0.6

I had a working windows 11 version with audio on incus version < (less than) 0.5.

However after upgrade to 0.5 or 0.6 version of incus windows 11 VM is not starting working.

I get the following error

Error: Failed to run: forklimits limit=memlock:unlimited:unlimited fd=3 fd=4 -- /opt/incus/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 -S -name win11 -uuid 84b55f00-270b-41fa-b007-0759ba9f6905 -daemonize -cpu host,hv_passthrough -nographic -serial chardev:console -nodefaults -no-user-config -sandbox on,obsolete=deny,elevateprivileges=allow,spawn=allow,resourcecontrol=deny -readconfig /run/incus/win11/qemu.conf -spice unix=on,disable-ticketing=on,addr=/run/incus/win11/qemu.spice -pidfile /run/incus/win11/qemu.pid -D /var/log/incus/win11/qemu.log -smbios type=2,manufacturer=LinuxContainers,product=Incus -runas incus -device intel-hda -device hda-duplex: : exit status 1

The incus incus info --show-log win11 gives this log

qemu-system-x86_64: -device hda-duplex: no default audio driver available

incus profile config

config:
  limits.cpu: "4"
  limits.memory: 8GiB
  raw.qemu: -device intel-hda -device hda-duplex
description: Default Incus profile
devices:
  eth0:
    name: eth0
    network: incusbr0
    type: nic
  root:
    path: /
    pool: incus-storage-pool
    size: 50GiB
    type: disk
  vtpm:
    path: /dev/tpm0
    type: tpm
name: win11
used_by:
- /1.0/instances/win11

My host os is
Linux mint: 21.3
Kernel Version is 5.15.0-97

Any help will be much appreciated thanks

I have removed the option -device hda-duplex from profile and started the windows 11 however I now have no audio

This has been mentioned a couple of times. Incus includes a package of Qemu which means that when you install Incus, you also get an installation of Qemu that is separate from your system’s Qemu installation (if you installed one anyway).

Therefore, Incus has a nice and fresh Qemu for the Incus VM instances. A recent change in Qemu 8 requires to append --audio spice to the existing line. See also, How to run a Windows virtual machine on Incus on Linux – Mi blog lah!

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help that worked