Comparing LXD vs. LXC

An extremely common confusion is the distinction between LXD (“LX Daemon” / pronounced “lex-dee”) and LXC (Linux Containers). This post attempts to clear that up.

Overview

From the official site:

LXD isn’t a rewrite of LXC, in fact it’s building on top of LXC to provide a new,
better user experience. Under the hood, LXD uses LXC through liblxc and its Go binding
to create and manage the containers.

It’s basically an alternative to LXC’s tools and distribution template system
with the added features that come from being controllable over the network.

And from here:

LXD is the new LXC experience. It offers a completely fresh and intuitive user experience with a single command line tool to manage your containers. Containers can be managed over the network in a transparent way through a REST API. It also works with large scale deployments by integrating with OpenStack.

LXD was announced in early November 2014 and is still under very active development.

Distinguishing them on the command line

lxd

lxd is the LXD daemon. For interacting with the daemon (to create and manage containers, for instance), you want to use the lxc command. You generally don’t want to invoke lxd directly – unless you need to run lxd init or something; check man lxd or lxd --help for more info on what you can do with running lxd directly, but once you get it running from your init system, you probably won’t need to invoke it directly again unless you are debugging LXD itself.

The lxc command is the LXD front-end (“LXD Client” is how I think of it).

However, if you’re trying to use LXD, you should avoid using any commands that start with lxc- (that’s lxc, followed by a short hyphen)! These commands are associated with LXC.

lxc

LXC commands start with lxc- (that’s lxc followed by a short hyphen). If there’s no hyphen, just the literal command lxc, that’s associated with LXD.

Packaging

The way LXD and LXC are packaged is distro-specific, but here’s some info on the Ubuntu packages.

From @stgraber here:

The packaging in Ubuntu is a bit confusing unfortunately…
“lxc1” is the “LXC 1.0 user experience” which is what normal people call LXC
“lxc2” is the “LXC 2.0 user experience” which is what normal people call LXD
So if you install “lxc1”, you’ll get the usual LXC tools
“lxc-create/lxc-start/…” and all of those will be at version 2.0.7,
getting all the bugfix and security updates and supported through 2021.

Mixing and matching

It’s generally a bad idea to mix and match LXC and LXD on the same system, in my opinion, because you are likely to get confused, or LXC and LXD might get themselves confused with sharing resources like namespaces, etc. I am not aware of any good use case for using both, so you should really decide on which one to use, and stick with it.

Even better, uninstall the command-line interface for the one you aren’t using, so you don’t accidentally run a command that’s not applicable to the LX{D,C} you intend to use.

Deciding on which to use

It is this user’s opinion that all “green field” (new user/new server) deployments looking at LXC or LXD as a solution should, in 99% of cases, just use LXD. This is especially true if your container host OS is Ubuntu 16.04 or later; you’ll have the most secure, most streamlined experience on this specific OS distro/version combo.

Outside of Ubuntu, it’s a bit easier to deploy LXC than LXD on distros completely outside the Debian/Ubuntu ecosystem, because it has fewer dependencies on kernel features and patches. However, with the proper kernel, it is possible to get a fully working LXD on non-Ubuntu, non-Debian distros. Support for LXD out of the box may improve in the future on some non-Ubuntu distros, but we’ll have to wait and see.

Security

LXC and LXD use the AppArmor LSM and the Secure Computing (seccomp) facility of the Linux kernel for the following purposes:

• To limit the extent to which processes in an unprivileged container can “break out” and affect system-wide resources on the host OS
  • To minimize the impact of compromised processes within a container
  • To isolate containers’ resources from the host OS while allowing them to access varying levels of resources provided by the host, depending on what the user (from the host side) chooses to allow

Although there are pretty good “default” security measures in place for both LXC and LXD, the isolation is a bit more streamlined and easier to set up from a user perspective with LXD, in my opinion. Security has also been significantly improved over time, so using a patched/supported version of LXD is a very good idea.

On non-Ubuntu systems, the AppArmor profiles might not work (if the kernel lacks certain AppArmor features), which significantly weakens the security of either LXC or LXD. Additionally, Ubuntu ships with a bunch of AppArmor profiles out of the box that other distros might not provide.

Features

Both lxd and lxc have the concept of unprivileged vs. privileged containers. An unprivileged container is designed to be as isolated as possible from the host OS; a privileged container basically implies that with little effort, a root user in the container can “break out” into the host OS, so the barrier between the container and the host is mostly to prevent accidents and encourage good software configuration management practices (similar to Docker).

Unprivileged containers have relatively fewer features than privileged containers in terms of what they can do with the OS and direct hardware access, but that’s a good thing, because many “direct access” type features only make sense when the user working with them is a trusted owner/administrator of the server. You certainly wouldn’t want to give tenants on a multi-tenant container-based VPS hosting box a privileged container. They could easily spy on and interfere with other tenants.

Maintaining this post

Did you know that this post is a Wiki article? This means, once you’ve earned the “Basic” badge, you can edit this post to improve it. If you see an error, or want to add different perspectives or resources, please feel free – but try to keep it on the topic of LXD vs. LXC. For detailed specifics or how-tos for a specific product (LXC or LXD), you are encouraged to create your own Wiki articles.

To learn more about trust levels and badges on Discourse, click here.

25 Likes

Thanks for the very useful post, I pinned it so that everyone can see it very easily.

Also, with the link limit now bumped to 5 for new users, you should be able to edit it and add the remaining link.

2 Likes

Do you know if there’s a way for either admins or other trusted users to edit this post? While I don’t think it’s necessarily desirable for the Discourse to be a general wiki where anyone can edit anything, having a few articles that are in Wiki-like format (where at least a subset of trusted/admin users can edit them) is desirable.

In this case, I’m happy to edit and maintain this document, but can’t guarantee it’ll always be up to date and the most accurate. Additionally, as other community members and developers, Canonical employees, etc. continue to write new blog posts and documentation for LXD and LXC, we’ll want to have a Resources section at the bottom of the article that links to them.

BTW, for anyone else who’s itching to write a post like this that is presentable as a pinned FAQ/Article, you should really consider writing one on LXD unprivileged container networking, with a focus on the most common scenarios as observed on the ML (for instance, giving containers a static IP via macvlan). Start with high-level basics and gradually work into the command-line, explaining networking concepts as you go. If nobody posts one in the next week or two, I might work on it if I get some time.

I just marked that post as a wiki now, so anyone of trust level 1 or above can now edit it.
Anyone who’s got trust level 2 or higher can make new wiki posts and admins can turn existing posts into wikis as needed (which is what I did here).

4 Likes

Basically I could say there no single situation where person should prefer LXD over LXC, beside situations where complex or heavy solution like proxmox used or environment created with LXC in mind.
LXD is more simple even for small tasks like running two tests containers on Desktop. And a lot more simpler in maintenance if you running big amounts of the containers.
I seen many times how people spending hours configuring network to make less robust solution, that I can setup with with lxc network in several seconds. More above with pure LXC I didn’t even seen similar network setups, every person doing its own.
And thats even without talking about LXD REST api.
Sad part about it many people even not knowing that they using LXD, and still call it LXC.

I’m battling that one in my chef environment… there are several resources out there that call themselves ‘lxd’ but they are simple wrappers around around the lxc CLI tool and are not actually LXD. There’s little to no understanding of the distinction in the general market, but I would soooo love to have their namespaces because I am trying to do it right, by giving the consumer options between the CLI and the REST api.

Thanks for the wiki page. LXD is a nice project and allows to use LXC containers very easily! The only downside is that it only works perfectly on Ubuntu Server.

Have you tried the LXD snap on other distros? If so, what kind of problem did you run into?

We have CI in place for the LXD snap on a number of other Linux distributions and aren’t aware of anything being broken, though some features will be affected by exactly what the distribution’s kernel supports.

Hi Stéphane and thanks for your work.

Yes I’m using the snap package on Debian, although I would prefer to have it in the Debian repo. At least I have an up-to-date version to play with. :slight_smile:

Indeed, after using it a bit more, most of the apparent drawbacks I read on the web about using LXD trough the snap package aren’t true anymore. What a great experience!

I have issues with CRIU (https://stgraber.org/2016/04/12/lxd-2-0-remote-hosts-and-container-migration-612/) but I also get them on Ubuntu Server so I guess they’re not related.

Yeah, CRIU is pretty hard to get working and very easy to break once it does :slight_smile:

I’ve added experimental support for CRIU in the snap package too, but you have to manually opt into that given how unreliable CRIU is:

snap set lxd criu.enable=true
systemctl reload snap.lxd.daemon
1 Like

Interesting information, but just a point; work also very nicely with SELinux.

I personally don’t some of the decisions made with LXD and how lxc init is working. The “defaults” for things like storage path is an absolute pain to change, and should be looked at.

You probably mean lxd init (and not lxc init, which creates a container but does not launch it).

lxd init is sort of a wizard that helps to configure LXD with some sane defaults.
If you do not like the defaults, you can use a preseed file instead to configure LXD in one go.
Alternatively, you can avoid lxd init altogether and run the set of configuration lxc commands manually to your liking.

Indeed, an issue with lxd init is that as a wizard, it applies each choice as you go along. If it aborts further down the line, the previous configuration (for example, about storage) has already been applied.

3 Likes

Yes, true “lxd init”.

Thanks, I need to have a look at it.

IMHO, along the lines of this post/article, another useful one (or two) would be to list some typical use cases for choosing either lxc or lxd.

i have not made a decision, yet. but i am leaning towards lxc. there are two reasons i am coming to this conclusion. the 1st is that i’m mostly interested personally in doing system level things with containers. the 2nd is the i am wanting to learn about containers the way i would have learned had i not been misdirected away when they first came out years ago. i am doing catch-up now. i would have learned lxc 1st because at one time that’s all there was. then i want to learned lxd in terms of already knowing lxc. and somewhere in their i want to also learn the API in terms of programming in C and in Python. i don’t think my use cases are typical, though. and they might well be confusing to typical users who only learn lxd (or Docker).

one of my goals is to set up a dual-distro system on my laptop with Ubuntu and Slackware (maybe also some others like Centos, Debian, and/or Fedora). and part of that goal is to have both Ubuntu and Slackware each running in their own container with the host system minimized to run containers and suitable system administrator tools. and i also want to look into building “distros” targeted to only be container images.

Can someone expand on the security dependencies of LXD on apparmor? I want to run LXD containers, but enable SELinux security, which I believe removes apparmor. Is this safe to do, and does anyone know of articles on how to secure an LXD container with SELinux?

LXD doesn’t require apparmor, it will happily run on systems that have it missing or disabled.

With AppArmor disabled, privileged containers should be considered as entirely unsafe. While we don’t consider them to be root safe when apparmor is present, we also don’t know of a trivial way to escape in that case, but without apparmor it’s downright trivial.

Unprivileged containers (default) should be perfectly safe as apparmor only acts as a safety net there with the user namespace acting as the main security barrier.

Thanks for the confirmation!

fyi, i have decided to go with LXD. i just haven’t installed it, yet, because my needs are not urgent. but there is a new need that i might like to do sooner, if it is doable.

Can you please solve this issue. I’ve been waiting for the reply for a long time