Discuss.linuxcontainers.org seems to be down a lot

Yep, now it loads instantly. Maybe Tom is right and it’s some kind of database thing.

It just happened again. I tried switching to another topic I’m working on and got this message:

Sorry, we couldn’t load that topic, possibly due to a connection problem. Please try again. If the problem persists, let us know.

Clicking on Try Again a couple of time resulted in the same message. The third time the topic page loaded after a brief delay.

I don’t think this is a networking issue on my end as other people seem to be having similar issues.

Hitting the developer view in your browser (F12 in firefox) to look both at the Console and Network tabs would be pretty helpful.

On the server side, I’ve been keeping an eye for the past few hours and fixed a couple of DB errors (missing extension) and one deprecated config key but otherwise, load has been extremely low, no slow requests recorded, no slow DB queries recorded and CPU load at 0.05. So whatever it is feels network related, just need to figure out when accessing what exactly and what’s the error.

2 Likes

I also often have this problem of slow response from the site, not only when first connecting but when retrieving other topics. I also get an interesting error occasionally when typing a reply (if I take too long?) that it will tell me that the message is being edited elsewhere. This sounds like a load balancing problem perhaps, where you’re losing the session and it re-establishes it against another back end?

Edit : I had an episode of very slow loading just now. I couldn’t see anything specific in F12 except a few NS_BINDING_ABORTED errors which seem to potentially mean a lot of different things, several of them not important. Just now I got my draft is being edited in another window, this seems to be from an insecure (?!) connection to POST discuss.linuxcontainers.org drafts.json and that’s getting an NS_ERROR_NET_TIMEOUT.

Edit 2 : and this in console, which relates to the editing the post in another window and complains with a 409 error (“Conflict”).

Today super slow. It hangs on establishing the TLS handshake, according to Firefox, before timing out and giving me an error page.

I wonder @stgraber - did you say that linuxcontainers.org is now served from the UK as well? I’m in the UK and I wonder if it is related to an issue in the local instance here.

Its the /poll endpoint that takes a while to respond for me, the page often loads its waiting for that response that takes the time.

If you look at the response it contains deatils on what is and isn’t read, speculatively as your account gets older and the forum gets busier its these “calcs” that cost the time. Subsequent loads are fast so I assume it gets cached.

“naming things & cache invalidation” strikes again

I’m just surprised that LXD seems to be treated as an arm’s length project that runs on its own infra, as opposed to part of the Canonical mothership and therefore residing on the corporate platform?

It’s incredibly confusing anyway - MAAS is at maas.io but is branded Canonical MAAS, Landscape is at landscape.canonical.com (for the SaaS service) but branded Ubuntu Landscape at ubuntu.com/landscape for self-hosted, and then we have LXD which is branded Linux Containers (?) at linuxcontainers.org and not branded either Canonical or Ubuntu, but linked on Canoncial.com by something that says ubuntu.com/lxd but points at the Linux Containers site. So, bascially, what?

Its half owned by Oracle I think, or Oracle had a hand in creating it.

I think its the same reason the web-ui is under cannoical and LXD is “out on its own”.

I to have found the “please provide image servers” requests … odd, but that doesn’t contribute much to this issue of the slow forum :smile:

Almost tempted to spend the $1,144 to buy lxd.io and see what happens. :rofl:

You find out how poor you are compared to the Oracles lawyers :wink: :joy:

Well it’s owned by a domain squatter at the moment so if Oracle hasn’t rung their bell yet …

And ubuntu.io was squatted (presumably) by someone in Poland in 2019.

Just took me three attempts to get the comment submitted. :frowning:

Is it just the forum you’re finding slow, what about the main linuxcontainers.org site?

They are hosted in the same place (Canada), but if one is fine and the other isn’t, then it suggests its not a connection problem, but something localised to the forum.

Its working well for me in the UK currently btw.

I was only “playing” as we’ve wandered off the original subject… I dev’d lxdmosaic so I think you’ll be alright if you want the domain (thought im not a lawyer, on your own head be it).

Hopefully though the forum problem gets solved :smile:

As you said earlier, if you aren’t logged in (I.E use private browser) this forum loads very fast.

Its definitely a “logged in” issue (in my mind).

1 Like

Feels like an inefficient query in Discourse, or perhaps even an inefficient browser JS implementation, as I particular experience it on my phone, like its having trouble rendering the page.

Generally its fine on my laptop.

See my earlier response about /poll and the calcs its doing, I think as we have “old” accounts - we expeirence the issue (it returns basic counts variables (not long text), but thats where it hangs)

1 Like

Thanks, yes could well be that. CC @stgraber

Maybe there is a newer version of Discourse we can try.

1 Like

Just adding some evidence

25+ seconds to hit /poll (some cases +10 seconds before being cancelled) some never responding - if you see some spikes they probably this…

A cheeky 2minutes+ if your “unfair to the webadmin”

1 Like

And is that holding up the page being rendered?