LXD is no longer part of the Linux Containers project

LXD has been moved to Canonical

Canonical has requested that the LXD project be moved from LinuxContainers to Canonical’s own infrastructure. This means that starting now, LXD related resources can be found at:

Github: GitHub - canonical/lxd: Powerful system container and virtual machine manager
Forum: LXD - Ubuntu Community Hub
Documentation: Canonical LXD documentation

When it comes to this forum, the LXD section will be reconfigured to not allow new topics.
Existing topics will remain active and replies can be posted inside of them. New topics related to LXD posted to other sections of the forum will be redirected to the Ubuntu Discourse instead.

Linux Containers project statement

Source: Linux Containers - LXD - Has been moved to Canonical

Date: 4th of July 2023

Hello,

Canonical, the creator and main contributor of the LXD project has decided that after over 8 years as part of the Linux Containers community, the project would now be better served directly under Canonical’s own set of projects.

While the team behind Linux Containers regrets that decision and will be missing LXD as one of its projects, it does respect Canonical’s decision and is now in the process of moving the project over.

Concretely, the expected changes are:

What will not be changing:

• The rest of the Linux Containers projects remain unaffected
  • The image server, currently used by both LXC and LXD will keep operating as normal, though with less architectures available as mentioned above

Those changes will likely all happen pretty rapidly as everything is relatively tightly integrated together. As a result, you may notice a bit of bumpiness while Canonical sets up the replacement infrastructure.

Sincerely,

The Linux Containers team

Christian Brauner
   Serge Hallyn
   Stéphane Graber

2 Likes

How exciting, what will happen to all the content here? Will it be migrated over / archived? :smile:

The content can’t be transferred over, at least not in a reasonable way.

We won’t be deleting anything though and this forum will still exist for the other projects that remain under Linux Containers. We’ll just be asking that new topics be opened on the Ubuntu forum instead.

1 Like

A big thank you to @stgraber @brauner and the LXD team for all the work you’ve done for LXD/LXC and this community :clap::clap::clap:

13 Likes

@stgraber Will this change affect your / other core members involvement in the LXD project in anyway?

1 Like

Is that because of LXD UI?

Nope, not related to the LXD UI, though the LXD UI was the first project to be clearly labeled as a Canonical project.

1 Like

No change in Canonical’s commitment to LXD, the LXD team has been growing quite a bit recently if anything and that team (actually department these days) is all focused on LXD and MicroCloud.

2 Likes

There is an FAQ post on the new forum that hopefully answers some of your questions

https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/faq-lxd-has-been-moved-to-canonical/36709

I’m confused. On the FAQ post is stated that the LXD section on the Linux Containers forum will slowly be sunset in favour of a section on the Ubuntu Discourse but when i opened a new topic there, i got the hint that this discourse forum is explicitly not for community support questions …

Thanks for highlighting.

This has been addressed by the Ubuntu Community here:

https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/supporting-the-lxd-community/36764

What will happen to the translations that were done with Weblate in the future? Currently, Weblate’s LXD is locked.

I received from errors from weblate in the last day or so, and it is my intention to figure out what the issue and resolve them ASAP. Most likely its due to the change of repo.

It should be fixed now, we renamed the master branch to main as part of the move, so that needed updating in weblate.

1 Like

I believe microcloud is very promising project created by team. Also, iso based vm.

fyi discourse.ubuntu.com links not loading and no ping replies for me, probably temporary thing or does that happen often there?

Seems to be back up now. In theory Ubuntu Discourse should be more reliable in that it’s run by Canonical IS who has a 24/7 team of people looking after services unlike this forum where I’m the one running the infrastructure and dealing with outages.

Though if our experience with image servers is anything to go by, having round the clock staff doesn’t necessarily correlate with better uptime…

3 Likes