Weekly status for the week of 16th January to 22nd January.
A bumper week of releases! The highlight of the past week was the release of LXD 5.0.2 LTS, LXC 5.0.2 LTS and LXCFS 5.0.3 LTS. These are the latest in their respective 5.0 LTS series (which are supported until June 2027). Please see their release notes for more details.
As such, we are looking for first line managers (highly technical) and individual contributors to grow the team and pursue our efforts around scalability and clustering.
All positions are 100% remote with some travel for internal events and conferences.
For more info please see LXD related openings at Canonical Ltd (2022-2023)
- Added cluster member state
lxc cluster show <instance>command and associated API endpoint. This command shows sysinfo and storage pool usage information for the specified cluster member.
- Further reductions to the number of DB transactions started in common operations.
- Improved live migration error messages.
- Fixed a regression in LXD 5.10 that prevented profiles being included when copying an instance (if not specified in the request itself). This didn’t affect
lxc copy, but only affected direct API requests that didn’t explicitly include the profiles.
- Fixed some edge cases in the container shutdown/stop process to make it more resilient.
- Fixed MIPS architecture aliases.
dnsmasqversion detection to work in environments that have the LANGUAGE variable set (by forcing english language when invoking
- Fixed deadlock regression.
- Fixed newline in jinja2 renderer.
- Ensure error messages are logged in main.
- Added support for next Funtoo release.
The LXD team is running a YouTube channel with live streams covering LXD releases and weekly videos on different aspects of LXD. You may want to give it a watch and/or subscribe for more content in the coming weeks.
Ever wanted to contribute to LXD but not sure where to start?
We’ve recently gone through some effort to properly tag issues suitable for new contributors on Github: Easy issues for new contributors
- FOSDEM 2023 4th-5th February 2023. See FOSDEM 2023 containers devroom: Call for papers
The list below is feature or refactoring work which will span several weeks/months and can’t be tied directly to a single Github issue or pull request.
- Stable release work for LXC, LXCFS and LXD
The items listed below are highlights of the work which happened upstream over the past week and which will be included in the next release.
- lxd: Reduce calls to d.State() and avoid starting a transaction if target is local server in
- Cluster: Adds cluster member state API endpoint
- Improve UI behavior
- lxd/instances_post: Fix copying profiles during instance copy
- lxc/migrate: Make live migration error message more helpful
- Instance: Container shutdown edge case fixes
- doc/clustering: add link to YouTube video about cluster groups
- Add mipsle and mips64le architecture aliases
- Cluster: Fix TotalRAM field in MemberState output
- Instance: Comment typo and spacing
- shared/util: Update RunCommandCLocale to pass LANGUAGE=en env var
- Nothing to report this week
- cpuview: fix ABBA deadlock in find_proc_stat_node
- build: tools: keep trailing newline in jinja2 renderer
This section is used to track the work done in downstream Linux distributions to ship the latest LXC, LXD and LXCFS as well as work to get various software to work properly inside containers.
- Nothing to report this week
- lxd: Cherry-pick upstream bugfixes
- Updated 5.0 branch to line up with latest